How To Root Samsung Galaxy Note 8 : Step By Step Guide
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is the best phone on the market right now. Samsung release the new Android Oreo update before few days. When everything is good regarding updates and performance the real question is how to Root Samsung Galaxy Note 8? As you know there are two versions of the Note 8 namely the Exynos version and the Snapdragon version. I will write separate rooting methods for both these versions below. Before you proceed, keep in mind that rooting your note 8 will void the warranty forever. Unless you are a hardcore fan of development or you want to play around with some applications you don’t have to root Note 8.
And before we get started to root Samsung galaxy note 8, I advice you to follow these instructions for your safety. This guide is Make a backup of your data as you are going to play with the android system files which may brick your phone if you don’t do it correctly. You will lose access to Samsung Pay and Samsung Secure Folder if you root your phone. Unrooting won’t help you bring back these two applications. OTA(Over The Air) updates won’t work which means you won’t receive official updates from Samsung. You can unroot your phone whenever you want but that won’t bring back your warranty. If you think all these instructions are ok then you can PROCEED.
ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 8 EXYNOS VERSION
There are two types of rooting your Exynos version. With custom recovery and without a custom recovery. I think you know what a custom recovery is as you know what a root it! Hint: You can use a custom recovery to flash mods, custom ROMs, etc., As you are using Exynos version you should take a backup of EFS(this contains important info about your phone) using this application. Don’t worry about malware or spam app because we hate it too.
ROOT WITH CUSTOM RECOVERY – TWRP
1. You have to enable Developer Options to do that go to Settings -> About Phone -> Software information – Tap 7 times on Build number to activate the Developer Options. Go back to main Settings and you can find it at the very end.
2. Search for and enable OEM Unlock. There is no workaround if you don’t see this option.
3. Download SuperSU and copy it to an External SD card.
4. Download TWRP 3.1.1 for Exynos Note 8.
5. Turn off your device.
6. Press Vol Down + Bixby + Power button to get into download mode and now press Volume Up when asked to continue to download mode.
7. Download and extract Odin 3.13.1. Open the application and uncheck ‘Auto reboot’ from options menu of Odin.
8. Click on AP button of Odin and select the downloaded TWRP file in the explorer. Click on Start button at the bottom.
9. Once Successfully flashed, you will see ‘Passed‘ text in Odin.
10. Disconnect your Note 8 and hold Vol Down + power button till the screen goes off. Now, immediately press Vol Up + Bixby + Power Button to reboot to TWRP.
11. In the TWRP swipe to allow modifications.
12. From TWRP, Select WIPE menu -> FORMAT DATA – You need to type ‘yes’ to perform a wipe. WARNING: This will erase all data including internal storage from the device.
13. Once formatting completes, go back and select REBOOT Menu and then click on ‘RECOVERY’, This will reboot to TWRP again.
14. Now click on install and navigate to External SD card. Select the copied zip file of SuperSu.
15. Once flashing is finished you can reboot your phone by going to reboot menu and clicking on system option.
Have some patience and allow the device to boot, It may take time as we have formatted the data. You can see the SuperSu application in the apps list and your phone is rooted.
ROOT WITHOUT CUSTOM RECOVERY
This is a quick method to root note 8 but you won’t be having a custom recovery installed on your phone to flash mods and custom ROMs.
1. Download CF Auto Root file.
2. You have to enable Developer Options to do that go to Settings -> About Phone -> Software information – Tap 7 times on Build number to activate the Developer Options. Go back to main Settings and you can find it at the very end.
3. Search for and enable OEM Unlock. There is no workaround if you don’t see this option.
4. Turn off your device.
5. Press Vol Down + Bixby + Power button to get into download mode and now press Volume Up when asked to continue to download mode.
6. Download and extract Odin 3.13.1. Open the application.
7. Click on AP button of Odin and select the downloaded image.tar.md5 file in the explorer. Click on Start button at the bottom.
8. Once Successfully flashed, you will see ‘Passed‘ text in Odin.
9. Your phone will automatically reboot and you can find SuperSu installed.
Follow this development on xda-developers.
ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 8 SNAPDRAGON VERSION
This is quite a hefty process but trust me it works! There are three versions of bootloaders in Snapdragon Note 8. Go to System Information and check the last 6 digits of Baseband version or build number. If the first two characters of those 6 digits start with U1 then you have bootloader v1, if you U2 or S2 there then it is bootloader v2. And if you see U3 or S3 there then it is a bootloader v3. All the downloads are to the end of the post.
If you have a v3 bootloader there is an additional step for you. If you don’t have a v3 bootloader skip to part 1 and part 2.
Additional Step for v3 bootloader phones only: Flash the v3 firmware first using ODIN and then follow PART 1 and PART 2.
ROOT SNAPDRAGON NOTE 8 PART 1
1) Unzip the SamFAIL Note 8 Pre-Rooted System.tar and PIT File to your PC.(Download the system file according to your bootloader below.)
2) Have Comsey ODIN up and ready. Place your Note 8 into Download Mode and Connect to PC
3) In the AP slot, select the Pre-Rooted system.tar.
4) Now go to the PIT tab(Click OK or close on the warning box) and click and navigate to the PIT file you also just downloaded and select it.
5) On the OPTIONS tab, you will select the following: Auto Reboot, F. Reset Time, NAND ERASE ALL and Re-Partition.
6) Once you have everything in place and the correct options selected press START.
7) ODIN will say FAIL at the end of the flash and the phone will have rebooted to upload mode saying “Unknown Error”. Don’t fret, however, the system should have still been written!
8) You will have to get the phone back into Download mode( Hold Power, VOL- and Bixby together and the phone will reboot to download mode and tell you it is in emergency mode. THIS IS NORMAL.) and then proceed to Part 2 Instructions!
ROOT SNAPDRAGON NOTE 8 PART 2
1) Download and Extract the SamFAIL Note 8 Part 2 Firmware Zip to your PC. (Download firmware according to your bootloader below.)
2) Click Reset in Comsey ODIN or close it out and re-open it so it is COMPLETELY cleared out
3) Now select the firmware. BL goes in BL, AP goes in AP, CP goes in CP, don’t press start yet!
4) Now, this time we ARE NOT SELECTING A PIT FILE, We should just select Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time. DO NOT DO NAND ERASE ALL OR YOU WILL HAVE TO START OVER.
5) Once you got the partitions in place and the right options selected Press Start!
6) Once phone boots up, Setup your device as normal and proceed to the SuperSU app. It may ask you to update the SU Binary. Select Normal method and let it do its thing.
7) Follow its instructions then SU should say it was Successful in updating and it needs to reboot(You may have to do it multiple times. I believe its 2 or 3 times then its good) ENJOY SamFAIL ROOT!
SamFailv1= Bootloader Revision 1(u1)
SamFailv2= Bootloader Revision 2(u2/s2) WARNING ONLY USE IF ON Rev2 Firmware. YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE BACK TO Rev1!
SamFailV2.5= Bootloader Revision 2(u2/s2) WARNING ONLY USE IF ON Rev2 Firmware. YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE BACK TO Rev1!
SamFailV3= Bootloader Revision 3(u3/s3) WARNING ONLY USE IF ON Rev3 Firmware. YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE BACK TO Rev1 or Rev2!
Follow this development on xda-forums.
Thanks to me2151 and dr.ketan for all the efforts. I made a single post together with all the versions. Hope you like this article about how to root Samsung galaxy note 8. Feel free to comment below and share this with your friends!